National Desktop League

I’ve always been attracted to sports imagery. I find it daring – if sometimes brash and tacky – and expressive especially in its typography. It’s a guilty pleasure: large commercial lettering, loud colors… it’s far from what I’m normally drawn to. But I admire people who can design that way and who are not afraid of overdoing it. Stylistically it looks to me like a direct derivative from old-fashion commercial sign painting for which I have a soft spot.

When I was a kid, right across the street from my elementary school, there was a commercial sign shop. It closed down a long time ago but I still remember exactly what it looked like, its dark green façade and its beautiful hand-painted white letters on the window. I also remember my father explaining to me what that guy’s job was and how great it was that someone could still make a living that way. I think he too has a soft spot for hand lettering which he passed on to me.

I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing that sign painting is now a lost art in France. Living in Brazil though I have the privilege to see it alive everyday. The streets here are full of hand painted signs: store front advertising, commercial banners suspended above and across the streets – it’s illegal to hang banners in the streets in Belo Horizonte but it’s still done – political signs, etc… They’re everywhere. Though most of them are unremarkable some do stand out, often more by their size and color than by the quality of the lettering. Maybe I’m a complete weirdo but I do enjoy walking passed a giant blue “A” or a huge red “S”

But back to my initial point… I’ve been thinking for while now about experimenting with replacing the modern, glossy, and minimalist look of computer graphics with the loud and popular aesthetics of expensive team sports. What would that be like? Something like this perhaps:

GNOME T-shirt, front side, red with dark green lettering

The GNOME Marketing list is discussing ways to define and reach its target audience. But what are we going to propose to the public to identify GNOME visually and to connect with it? I know it’s a side issue, mere promotion, but it’s a stimulating one for me. I’ve proposed in the past to create GNOME posters which belong stylistically to the standard sleek computer graphic design genre. I didn’t do it to imitate anything or anyone. It just came out that way because that minimalism is a part of me. But after it I also felt compelled to try something different which challenged not only my designing habits but also my assumption about the way to communicate my enthusiasm and my hopes for GNOME.

GNOME T-shirts, back side, name and number of GNOME 'players'

Now, if only CafePress offered dark red t-shirts!

No comments: